Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Holiday Traditions





Do You Have A Holiday Tradition? 


As Turkey day approaches here in the U.S., I start to reflect on all of the holiday traditions my family had. Death, and age have changed a lot of the traditions we had, and it seems they weren't as important to anyone in my family as they were to me. No one seems to be concerned with passing along these memories, and moments so near and dear to me.

My children will never experience the close family feeling I did during the holidays. They will never know what an entire night of dominoes on a metal table sounds like. They will never know what it's like to roll around in bags of freshly picked cotton. They will never know what it's like to play hour after hour of Rack-O or aggravation.

Every year we ate Turkey on Thanksgiving and Ham on Christmas...Not lasagna, or cheese and salami! My mother says it doesn't matter what we eat. That's not what it's about. She is right, it's not what we eat, but that is just one more tradition that we won't have. I can't bring back the people that are gone, I can't change where everyone lives, but I can have traditional food. It's not that difficult to make a Turkey and some taters so why does my family fight me on this? Maybe I am being sentimental...Maybe I am being silly...Who cares!!

Maybe I will go out and buy some dominoes and teach my kids to play....


Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment